the first Chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.
“The Thai Chamber of Commerce” was established by a group of local merchants and business people who took the initiatives of establishing a national Chamber of Commerce similar to those in other countries. It had as its objective to facilitate business and trade as well as to serve as the central coordinating agency between the Government and the Private Sector. It aimed to promote Thailand’s business and trade, as well as to safeguard Thailand’s commercial interests on an equal term and as an equal partner with other countries. On 8 March 1933, it was registered as the “Thai Chamber of Commerce” which was initially located in Trok Captain Bush, Sriphraya Rd. Phraya Bhirombhakdi became the first Chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.
“Board of Trade of Thailand” was established on 28 June 1955 to serve the local and international business members. The Board promotes trade rules and regulations as well as provides business consulting services, as well as producing economic forecasts and reports on Thailand’s trade and business regions to the public and the private sectors at large. Later in year 1966, the Government took cognizance of the importance of the socio-economic role of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade of Thailand. The Chamber of Commerce Act of 1966 was adopted. The Act divides the responsibilities of the Thai Chamber of Commerce into 4 types of organization:
1) The Thai Chamber of Commerce
2) Board of Trade of Thailand
3) The Provincial Chamber of Commerce
4) The Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand.
The Act decrees that all the Provincial Chambers of Commerce and the Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand are legally bound to the member of Board of Trade of Thailand. Moreover, Chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce takes the position of Chairman of Board of Trade of Thailand as well.
Board of Trade of Thailand
Educational Development : The Thai Chamber of Commerce established the Commerce College in 1940, but had to close after 1 year of operation due to World War II. Then, it was re-opened in 1963 and has developed over the decades to become one of Thailand’s leading private educational institutions and has been elevated as the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce in 1984. The Thai Chamber of Commerce and the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce have collaborated in education for the promotion of trade and economic development as well as providing technical backstopping for the Thai and foreign business community.